Zuba & Associates, P.C.

What happens when a parent fails to pay child support

When some Illinois parents get divorced or separate, one parent may be held responsible for paying child support. These payments are supposed to be made monthly to help the custodial parent provide for the children. However, some parents do not understand how the system works, potentially making them blame the courts for their financial situation.

There are many myths surrounding Child Support Enforcement Offices, especially when parents fail to pay the monthly amount of child support that they owe. One common myth some parents believe is that their ex-spouse has a say in how much the parent makes, meaning that the ex-spouse could lie to the court in order to get the money. This is not the case. The Child Support Enforcement Offices attempt to track down parents for nonpayment. If the parent cannot be found, they will impute an income for that parent based on the last job he or she had.

If a parent has a sudden change in his or her financial situation, he or she needs to file a modification of the child support order. By providing evidence of the change in income to the court, the parent can temporarily reduce the child support amount he or she owes every month. However, the amount will go back up once the parent's income increases.

A parent's income may change for many reasons. The parent may lose his or her employment, become injured or become disabled. Because the process can be complex depending on the parent's situation, a family law attorney may help file the paperwork to ask the court for a modification to the child support order. The attorney may also help gather the financial documents and other important information to show that the parent's income has changed.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Zuba & Associates, P.C

Firm Location:

6067 Strathmoor Drive
Rockford, IL 61107

Phone: 815-397-7000
Fax: 815-397-1834
Rockford Law Office Map

Firm Numbers: